TinyWall Firewall

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by ultim, Oct 12, 2011.

1. Bertazzoni

Bertazzoni Registered Member

Until someone starts to actively develop TW, I consider it abandoned ware.
    https://github.com/pylorak/TinyWall

2. g17

g17 Registered Member

You guys should get a utility called TCPView from sys internals. It will show you the connection state of things that are trying to connect but are blocked. Tiny Wall also has this function but the SYS internals utility has more info.

Maybe it's a child process that is blocked that you can't see ?

3. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

You know, I have also tried putting TinyWall into learning mode, but it kept blocking stuff. So I decided to disable it and use WFC, but I still saw the same stuff being blocked. Which leads me to the conclusion that it's perhaps the Windows Firewall itself that's blocking stuff?

So now I have disabled it and rely solely on TinyWall, which is a fully fledged third party firewall, so it doesn't need WF to function correctly. I will see how things go, because lately my internet connection wasn't working properly, probably because of the Windows Firewall, while I was blaming TinyWall.

https://www.binisoft.org/wfc

You probably need it for Windows Defender's cloud to work properly.

4. wat0114

wat0114 Registered Member

As @Rasheed187 mentions above, yes you need to allow it to TCP remote port 443. All three of these Defender processes actually:

Code:
    "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows Defender\Platform\*\MpDefenderCoreService.exe"
    "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows Defender\Platform\*\MsMpEng.exe"
    "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows Defender\Platform\*\NisSrv.exe"
    This applies to recent Windows 11 23H3, although not sure about earlier Windows 10 & 11.

If Tinywall does not know how to deal with wildcards in the path rules, just like Windows firewall doesn't, then you will need to update these rules every time these processes themselves update, so this caveat would apply to the Defender processes above. This deficiency with Windows firewall is probably the worst drawback to the firewall. How on earth Microsoft can't - or won't - fix this is beyond me :rolleyes:

5. Rasheed187

Well, it keeps getting weirder. No matter if I disable TinyWall or Windows Firewall, stuff keeps getting blocked. So is it perhaps the built-in modem/router firewall that's blocking stuff? On the other hand, I didn't uninstall TW, so perhaps it keeps blocking stuff when it's disabled.

6. wat0114

wat0114 Registered Member

It's highly unlikely any of your hardware is blocking stuff. If correcting TW's settings or uninstalling it doesn't help, then you may want to try resetting Windows firewall as described here:

https://www.thewindowsclub.com/reset-windows-firewall-settings

I've used the command line netsh firewall method a little while ago successfully when Windows fw was inexplicably blocking my WiFi access

7. Rasheed187

Thanks for the tip, and I also don't think it's because of the modem/router, because I don't think those blocks are being recorded by Windows. I keep seeing stuff blocked from svchost.exe, system.exe but strangely enough also from javaw.exe, I haven't got a clue why, because it has full access in TinyWall and WFC. Does perhaps O&O ShutUp 10 somehow plays a role, who knows?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.