Bork Tuesday, Any Problems Yet?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Daveski17, Nov 12, 2014.

1. Minimalist

Minimalist Registered Member

Why did you wait? You can set it to automatic with "let me choose..." and let it find updates by itself. Once they are found you'll be notified and then you can choose which ones you want to install. You don't have to run and then babysit update check, just let it do it background by itself.

2. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

That's what I did. I booted up in the afternoon and the pc was running for about 6 hours and right before I shut down for the night, I checked and it still hadn't found any updates. So I shut down. During the entire time, the cpu was at 50% usage, which didn't make much difference except for a mild sluggishness in video watching. I have no idea if it would have picked up where it left off the next day, or just started all over again, but I just don't care any more. It's a ridiculous situation and I just don't want to deal with it any longer. Time to move on. MS will never fix this, and slowly people will abandon 7 and move to either 10 or Mac or linux, take your pick. I have 10 here right now, and there are no such issues. It runs well, and updates well. If I need to, I can use one of my linux images also. Anyway, I'm done with the 7 fiasco.

3. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

It's best to just leave your computer running all night.

4. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Possibly, but I'm not in the habit of doing that. It's a laptop, and it seems best to me to shut it down in the evening when I'm done... But yeah, that would solve that problem. That plus tell it not to sleep too. :)

5. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

6. paulderdash

paulderdash Registered Member

7. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Thanks stapp. Actually, due to some issues with Win 10, I have returned to 7 again for another try. I booted up early today, and I'm going to let it run all day and night and see if the updates list shows up. If I get nothing by tomorrow morning, then I'll try some of the above possible fixes and see what happens.

8. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

9. Stupendous Man

Stupendous Man Registered Member

KB3161647, Windows Update Client for Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2: June 2016, which "addresses long scan time for updates", is only available by installing the rollup, and not as a separate package.

The KB3161608 June 2016 update rollup for Windows 7 SP1 and Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 article sums up what's supposed to be fixed with the rollup. You can have a look at the separate knowledge base articles for details.
    N.B.
    Regarding KB3161608, at AskWoody.com, MPW replied:
    "I tried it. It wiped out all my hidden updates and did not unstick Windows Update.
    I did system restore. KB3161647 is no longer listed as installed, but my hidden updates did not return."
    "KB3161647 erased all my hidden updates and did not fix Windows Update for me."

That sounds rather scary.

I would rather try the Windows Updates service and KB3161664 trick that stapp mentioned.

10. ProTruckDriver

ProTruckDriver Registered Member

Again back to Win 7. I must say I give you Kudos for putting up with M$ BS between Win 7 & 10. Good Luck. :)

11. itman

itman Registered Member

Ah ........., yes. MS issues Win 7 Update fix right before the Win 10 upgrade period is about to expire. This Win 7 update fix results in all hidden updates being restored; one of which is most likely the Win 10 upgrade one.

Time to "wise up" folks and start using some "common sense."

Problem is there is TLS cypher update in the Win 7 rollup update I would like to apply. Will see if I can download that one manually from the update catalog.

12. Stupendous Man

MPW said installing KB3161608 wiped out all hidden updates.
    MPW did not say those updates were now offered by Windows Update again.
    Perhaps the hidden updates are still hidden, but the Windows Update overview of hidden updates was lost or damaged and is no longer shown. We simply don't know.

KB3161639, Update to add new cipher suites to Internet Explorer and Microsoft Edge in Windows, is only available by installing the rollup, and not as a separate package.
    But perhaps it may be included in one of next month's security updates. The same happened with the May 2016 update rollup components. That's why the May 2016 update rollup is no longer offered if one installed all recent security updates.

13. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

After installing KB3161608, all my hidden updates are still there. Win7 64-bit. Just FYI.

14. Stupendous Man

Thanks, JRViejo, that's good to know.
    Of course I didn't mean to say that because MPW said installing KB3161608 wiped out all hidden updates, that would be the case for all users. Nevertheless, I think MPW's report is rather alarming, in the sense that it shows one possible and undesirable outcome.
    I think it's way too soon to know how uncommon the mentioned issue may be.

15. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

@Stupendous Man Thanks for all of the information. I want to be cautious about this, so I will wait 24 hours and see if my updates appear normally. If not, then we'll have to try a few things. I think that KB3161664 trick that stapp mentioned might be my first step. Thanks again!

16. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I think if I keep trying, one day I'll get 7 working well and I'll be satisfied. :)

17. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

That's why I wanted to post my FYI so other members, who have installed KB3161608, might post back with their hidden updates results.

18. Stupendous Man

Ah, thanks, good idea. :thumb:

19. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

Stupendous Man, you're welcome! There's usually a method to my madness... sometimes. ;) :D

20. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Well, my patience today has paid off. I just got my list of updates (17 I think). It took 6 3/4 hours, but it finally got there. Now all I have to do is re-read this thread and see if any of them are potential borkers...

21. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Did all of the 17 updates last night and so far no problems. About 7 of them were Office updates. This month seems ok.

22. Stupendous Man

In the replies at AskWoody.com, only a few mention that installing KB3161608 wiped out all hidden updates. Most mention that after installing KB3161608 the hidden updates overview is still intact. And most also mention that after installing KB3161608 the June 14 Patch Tuesday updates could be downloaded and installed without the slowdown issue, so it looks like KB3161608 can fix that issue, at least on some computers, and at least for now.

After imaging my Windows 7 x64 semi-test system, I installed KB3161608.
    After installing KB3161608, the hidden updates overview is still intact.
    I cannot test whether KB3161608 fixes the Windows Update slowdown issue, as I had already installed the June 14 Patch Tuesday updates earlier. So I will see next month, whether or not the slowdown issue is solved.

23. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

Good to know! :thumb:

24. Stupendous Man

I did the same with my main Windows 7 x64 system.
    Imaged it, and installed KB3161608.
    Same outcome:
    After installing KB3161608, the hidden updates overview is still intact.

25. hiten

hiten Registered Member

Just installed KB3161608 on Win7 x64 and my hidden updates are still there. FYI

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.