Windows Firewall Control (WFC) by BiniSoft.org

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by alexandrud, May 20, 2013.

1. alexandrud

alexandrud Developer

There is a way. The last version which allows standard user accounts to make changes to Windows Firewall without elevated privileges will remain 6.9.9.1. Us that version and do not update WFC to a newer version. Below is the download URL for it: https://binisoft.org/download/old/6991/wfc6setup.exe
    Security event log is used to log everything or nothing. There is no way to exclude specific processes from being logged. This is something handled by the OS and can't be changed by WFC. When there is no Internet, there is no connection blocked or allowed, this is why the log is empty when there is no Internet connection. Once you are connected to a network, packets of data start to move around :)

2. ahzs

ahzs Registered Member

I know about this version and I have this version as well. But it doesn't make much sense for the future. So would it be possible for you to implement the feature? Thank you

3. Etincelle

Etincelle Registered Member

Hi,
    I use the experimental feature and it is very useful for Windows applications.:thumb:

But it is often necessary to manually delete the red rules whose path no longer exists

In a future version would it be possible to automatically delete these unnecessary red rules?

Have a nice day.

4. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami Registered Member

As long as it will not be mandatory, some apps can be used only temporarily, like TOR.

5. Paul04

Paul04 Registered Member

TOPIC: Rules for SVCHOST

I have a simple question regarding creating a Block rule on "svchost.exe".

I realise that this may have been asked before, but I did perform a search on the Wilders forum with "svchost" as a keyword and it brought up so many results I gave up after reading about a dozen page hits. I knew the answer to this once upon a time but I am just setting up a new PC for someone so I want to double check and not mess up.

My question relates to the attached image, which shows my WFC panel that will create a WFC rule on svchost.exe (current showing Allow, but I want to change that to Block)

There is a Service named "MS ac sign-in assistant" in the Service field of the panel (this service is just an example; I am looking for an answer that would apply to any Service).

If I create a block rule here I expect that:
    (1) any instance of svchost used by the "MS ac sign-in assistant" service will be blocked
    (2) all other instances of svchost.exe will NOT at all be affected in any way (i.e. be allowed out)

Is that correct?

wfc_question2.jpg

6. alexandrud

alexandrud Developer

Yes, this is how it should work to block a service. The opposite is not always true. I mean, if you allow a specific service, it doesn't mean it will always work. This is because some services are expected to work on certain protocols and ports and if the allow rule is too generic it will be ignored. Since you setup this for someone else, I suggest to allow svchost.exe to connect on remote ports 80,443 no matter of the service and add svchost.exe in the notifications exceptions list. If you start creating block rules for certain instances for svchost.exe you will end up at some point to block Windows Store, Windows Update and other OS functionalities. svchost.exe is a legitimate process used by Microsoft services. My recommendation is to use Windows Firewall to allow/block third party programs/games, not the OS.

7. alexandrud

alexandrud Developer

An invalid rule may be just temporary for a file from a mounted drive, for a portable app. There is no plan to automatically delete these rules. The user must review the rules and decide which rule to delete.

8. Mr.X

Mr.X Registered Member

On Windows 11 23H2 fully updated and WFC 6.11.0.0
    When I right click on the systray icon to change Filtering profile, color doesn't changes, it stays green.
    Dashboard indicates the profile has changed.
    Don't ask when or what WFC version it started because it's been a month since I don't switch profiles, I think.
    I disabled some Microsoft Defender components, perhaps it's related?
    https://sendvid.com/geq0g90p

Last edited: May 14, 2024 at 12:48 AM
  9. aldist

aldist Registered Member

That's weird. Try installing WFC over or a clean install, or restoring the system from a backup. On Windows 11 22H2 with v6.9.9.1 everything is fine.

10. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami Registered Member

Code:
    https://www.elevenforum.com/t/rebuild-icon-cache-in-windows-11.2049
    https://www.elevenforum.com/t/reset-notification-icons-on-taskbar-system-tray-in-windows-11.247

11. aldist

aldist Registered Member

This removes icons that are "stuck" under the tray arrow after uninstalling programs. It does not affect the display of the active program icon, imho.

12. Paul04

Paul04 Registered Member

Thank you for the explanatory detail in your reply.

13. alexandrud

alexandrud Developer

Please check WFC event log. If you restart the process wfcUI.exe then the icon reports correctly the profile? The problem seems to be with the callbacks which don't get from the service back to the UI. See if there is any log entry related to this. Someone else reported a similar behavior 2 weeks ago over email but did not reply back to my answer. So far you are the second user with this problem which I could not reproduce.

14. Mr.X

Mr.X Registered Member

Nothing relevant there.
    Nope.

Well if you can't reproduce then troubleshoot in my machine remotely. I got nothing confidential in it so you can freely connect to it.

15. alexandrud

alexandrud Developer

Unfortunately this is not an option for me. I don't have enough time for troubleshooting problems on remote machines. I will try to see if I can reproduce this on my side somehow.

16. AmigaBoy

AmigaBoy Registered Member

When deleting a rule, there's a "Do not show again" option. If that is enabled, an option to restore it doesn't seem to exist? I could only disable it by importing all user settings from file.

17. Alpengreis

Alpengreis Registered Member

@AmigaBoy

Maybe this is possible in registry:

Look for:
    Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\BiniSoft.org\Windows Firewall Control

And there the key:
    UserConfirmDeletion

18. AmigaBoy

Thanks. Yes, I looked in the registry (didn't try it) but since this change is made within the UI, it makes sense to be able to revert it within the UI, too.

19. alexandrud

alexandrud Developer

A lot of things makes sense, but keep in mind that WFC is still a one man show, which is good and also bad.

Please open a CMD prompt and execute the following command:
    reg delete "HKCU\Software\BiniSoft.org\Windows Firewall Control" /v "UserConfirmDeletion" /f
    Now, if you try to delete another firewall rule you will be prompted to confirm the action.

Last edited: May 17, 2024 at 1:34 AM
  20. AmigaBoy

21. Etincelle

Etincelle Registered Member

Hi,

(Tip for those who don't use Geforce Experience Nvidia, but need the Nvidia control panel)

Nvdisplay.container.exe telemetry is blocked for me but requests a connection about 30 times per day in the WFC log.
    We can stop that.

Go to:
    C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\nvamig.inf_amd64_72a8482547fd21bc\Display.NvContainer\plugins

In LocalSystem folder delete 3 files:
    _DisplayDriverRAS.dll
    _NvMsgBusBroadcast.dll
    _nvtopps.dll

In Session folder delete 2 files:
    _NvGSTPlugin.dll
    _nvprofileupdaterplugin.dll

After that, Nvdisplay.container.exe will stop trying to connect and the Nvidia control panel will still work. :)

22. aldist

aldist Registered Member

Install NVidia drivers without telemetry and without any other garbage. NVCleanstall or NVSlimmer. Additionally NVSlimmer can repackage the installation distribution without unwanted components.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.