Windows 10 Firewall Control (Sphinx-Soft) Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Brummelchen, Feb 14, 2015.

1. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

One of the several things that I really like about Windows10 Firewall Control (W10FC) is that I DO NOT NEED TO WRITE RULES. Why? Because W10FC has already written them for me. To wit: W10FC has provided a VERY GRANULAR pre-defined rule for everything I want a firewall to do. For example:

1- As is the case for almost every computer user, I run an Email program several times every day. All I want is for my Email program to handle email and NOTHING else.

2- Here are the details of W10FC's pre-defined rule for an Email ONLY program:
    3- W10FC calls its pre-written rules "Zones" -- Here is a list of W10FC's ~38 Rules or Zones:
    ScreenHunter_01 Nov. 05 10.32.gif
    ScreenHunter_02 Nov. 05 10.33.gif

4- After I installed W10FC, the first time I ran my email program (PopPeeper), W10FC popped-up an alert, asking me what I wanted done. The alert let me scroll through a complete list of W10FC's rules or Zones. I simply highlighted the "EmailOnlyZone" & clicked a button and -- Poof -- it was done.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I am NOT an expert when it comes to developing firewall rules. Not even close. But I do want a very granular firewall, with well-defined rules for restricting the "connect out" capabilities of every program & file on my computer. On the other hand, I don't want to take the time to "get smart" about the inner workings of firewalls, TCP, ports, etc. -- and with W10FC, I don't need to. I really LIKE that!

Uhh.. by the way, for those of you who ARE firewall gurus, W10FC does allow you to write your own rules and also it lets you edit its pre-written rules, if you so desire.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2021
  2. wild4sec

wild4sec Registered Member

Just a heads up, for anyone who might be interested.
    W10FC regularly phones home. Both the paid and the free version do that.
    According to the developer, that's because of how the copy protection code is implemented and it can't be changed.
    You can, however, block the W10FC executables with another firewall (even the Windows FW).

But the main reason I'm posting this here is because there was a thread about this topic over at the W10FC forums (tapatalk), with some recent activity.
    The title was "Does or can Windows 10 Firewall Control phone home? If yes, can users block it?"
    The admin apparently deleted that thread, but you can still find remnants of it on search engines.
    It looks like Sphinx-Soft doesn't want people to know that W10FC phones home.

3. Brummelchen

Brummelchen Registered Member

if you block w10fc, do it recognize the license as legit?
    this firewall gets informations from the WFP API, from windows, but i cannot say "before" or "after" the windows firewall.

for me, i dropped this product completely, none of my win11 installations ever seen it, not my latest refresh of win10 seen it. guess what, the windows firewall does a decent job for me with only a hand full of additional blocking rules. w10fc at least blocked my lan connections between machines w10 <- w11, maybe because of sharped settings, maybe insufficient code, i dont know, and finally i tried without and i have luck. no hardening, no sharping, nothing.

4. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

OK thanks for the info, I don't actually use this app (too complex for me) but I can't stand this ''phoning home'' from apps that are supposed to improve privacy and security. And for me ''copy protection'' is no good excuse.

5. Brummelchen

Brummelchen Registered Member

if you dont like vendors which uses this method than your program world will be very small. btw, windows check its legit key also this was. now, what's your excuse?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.