Avast hit with multimillion-euro fine for GDPR failure

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by anon, Mar 31, 2023.

1. anon

anon Registered Member

Avast hit with multimillion-euro fine for GDPR failure
    Punishment relates to Avast data processing before 2020
    https://www.techradar.com/news/avast-hit-with-multimillion-euro-fine-for-gdpr-failure

2. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

Serves them right!

3. Bunkhouse Buck

Bunkhouse Buck Registered Member

There's more money in selling your data than the cost of the software. That is an incentive to do it and it is always possible there are other offenders as well.

4. aztony

aztony Registered Member

That act was particularly egregious coming from an AV company trusted with the mission to secure its customer(s) devices. I've used Avast's android app subsequent to this revelation. But the 1st thing I did upon installing is to deny any and all data sharing in Settings.

Last edited: May 8, 2023
  5. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

The same company that bought CCleaner and claimed they were hacked... :isay:

6. plat

plat Registered Member

Well, they were outed already in Jan 2020, according to searching the web. I just wonder how much of a profit is left over after paying that fine or whatever is accepted from them.

Hope it sends a message to others out there doing the same things, and you just know there are.

7. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

According to Avast, the hack began before they bought it.

8. xxJackxx

Riiiight. ;) :isay: Either they got caught or they didn't catch it themselves. Lose/lose. I could forgive some companies but not a PC security company. Combined with the subject of this discussion I can't see trusting them. The opinion of others may differ and anyone can feel free to disagree. :)

9. pegas

pegas Registered Member

I feel free to agree :) arc to avoid Avast & AVG.

10. tekkaman

tekkaman Registered Member

I think cloud scanning was invented to collect users data. There were antiviruses like Eset 5 that were very lite on resources while scanning locally even if you disabled cloud scanning. It's like Windows. Windows is free because they get your data. It's why you can activate any modern Windows with a pirated Windows 7 still. The antiviruses companies be like: oh your computer will be faster and more secure because you're offloading the scanning process. Many are still heavy on resources. Probably because the harddrive head is searching and searching for files to upload to Microsoft and you antivirus company. Main reason computers need SSD's now. HDD's were fast enough for daily tasks. And most users at home didn't need to move tons of data to need the speed of SSD. Now SSD are almost required so you can have a usable computer in 2023.

11. xxJackxx

I don't think it was invented for that, but it is a bonus for them. Cloud scanning does allow them to identify new threats faster. But yes, it allows them to collect your data faster too. I agree with the SSD situation. A PC with Windows 10 or 11 isn't usable without one. I have a VM on a spinning disk and it never stops grinding away when it is running. Something is going on in the background.

12. roger_m

That's one of the main reasons for it. But not to gather their personal data. It's so they can collect unknown files which they think are suspicious, so that the can be analysed. This allows them to detect new threats quicker, which is a good thing. It also allows for detection of threats they identify, but you don't have local signatures to identify them yet.

13. tekkaman

tekkaman Registered Member

Well we know what they do with the data. We only notice it when news like this comes out. We're a product to them. Which is why we have many free antiviruses. Haven't you noticed that so many programs can't even be used offline anymore ? You need to add your cellphone number to log in the account of many software in many cases. Sometimes we believe things we're told by faith with the thought that no one has bad intentions. Like these antivirus companies receiving terabytes of data from customers worldwide. Do you think there's a team of people checking if every file they receive really is a virus ? That is done be behavior based protection that could be run locally and efficiently. Although it still could pester the client with false positives.

14. roger_m

I have no idea. Even though most antiviruses have behaviour blocking, it is nowhere near as good as someone manually looking at the code. I do trust antivirus companies with my data. If I didn't, I wouldn't use an antivirus.

15. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

They just pay the fine, pennies to them. I believe the only entity that metes substantial fines is the European Union. Everyone else delivers tiny fines like this one.

16. BoerenkoolMetWorst

BoerenkoolMetWorst Registered Member

17. kerykeion

kerykeion Registered Member

With a net income of 170M, this fine is nothing, barely a slap on the wrist.

18. monkeylove

monkeylove Registered Member

Also, free versions are generally monetized, and paid versions like free intrusive, which should be the case for security programs.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.