Chrome Extension Performance Lookup

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Sampei Nihira, Jun 30, 2024.

1. Sampei Nihira

Sampei Nihira Registered Member

Chrome Extension Performance Lookup:

https://www.debugbear.com/chrome-extension-performance-lookup

also added MV3 extensions.
    I will insert 2 images with Adguard Mv3 and uBlock Origin Lite:

Adguard Mv3:

10.jpg

uBlock Origin Lite:

11.jpg

It is interesting to verify that, in the 3 test websites, uBlock Origin Lite makes the browser faster not only when the extension is compared with AdGuard MV3 but also in comparison with uBlock Origin (MV2).

https://github.com/uBlockOrigin/uBOL-home

Last edited: Jun 30, 2024
  2. Brummelchen

Brummelchen Registered Member

i already have 2 bookmarks from the bear concerning such impacts. but i dont care about chrome, more firefox, less extensions mean less slowdown. but i now see again that any antivirus extension is slowing down so extremly, this is known for years but the mass anyhow ignored this circumstance. "need more crappy security software, the web is evil" bs.
    doh, i already have that link bookmarked, its for 2024, the other is for 2021.
    and ofc the usual page changing extensions like stylish, dark reader, similar, and a massive slow down from the ai/gpt extensions.

3. Sampei Nihira

It is also interesting to consider that the various extensions used to replace the browser's New Tab Page also contribute to slowing down the opening of websites:

12.jpg

13.jpg

So I decided to keep the extension I use,not listed, instead of the original New Tab Page in Edge.
    But to make the New Tab Page in Edge as light as possible,
    to avoid a possible overlap of negative effects,I added this line to the Hosts file:

Code:
    0.0.0.0 ntp.msn.com

4. longshots

longshots Registered Member

Is the tail wagging the dog here?
    I see the prescribed list showing performance impact - in milliseconds.
    A millisecond is a unit of time in the International System of Units equal to one thousandth of a second!

Given the loading time of some websites I may have to wait an entire second for that page to load, and even then I probably won't know what caused that incredible delay.

5. Brummelchen

Brummelchen Registered Member

some people have the ability to recognize if content loads a blink later. this is around 300-400ms where out eye is closed, 10 to 15 times a minute. as you can see orange is 100ms+, red is 200ms+.
    in special for ublock i can see its orange symbol on start when fetching new list content, and this is really long and ofc a bit annoying. a try for comparison.

6. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami Registered Member

People look for the fastest DNS instead of the most secure and difference there is also negligible. Like if you were to use the farthest DNS, you would get max 800ms, that is still less than a second, while webpages load for 10 secs.

Chromium browsers have 5 secs delay every 5 mins, when "spying" DNS is blocked, that is really annoying and noticeable, yet it is never gonna be fixed. :mad:

7. Sampei Nihira

I performed a new triple test.
    • AdGuard MV3 - Hard Mode + TLD
    • uBlock Origin - Hard Mode + TLD
    • uBlock Origin Lite
    I chose a stable website that does not change content every few seconds.

Code:
    Focus.it
    I chose this website because with the 3 extensions the mathematical scale of reference values does not change.
    With other websites,for example Amazon the scale changes (increases) with the AdGuard MV3 extension.

I chose to consider the parameter Layout/sec.

AdGuard MV3:

https://imgur.com/yabmkZ0

It can be seen that the area of the diagram is the largest.
    There are 2 peaks above 10.
    This is undoubtedly the slowest extension.

uBlock Origin:

https://imgur.com/p58CNbj

Only one peak above 10,the diagram area is less than AdGuard MV3.

uBlock Origin Lite:

https://imgur.com/6fmfOgE

Similar to the diagram of uBlock Origin,but the diagram area is less extensive.
    So uBlock Origin Lite seems to be the fastest extension.

Conclusion

Given the small difference in performance between uBlock Origin and uBlock Origin Lite (probably) my decision is to use uBlock Origin in Edge until June 2025

Last edited: Aug 15, 2024
  8. digmor crusher

digmor crusher Registered Member

Are we talking of differences in milliseconds here, if so why does it matter, you can't see the difference?

9. Sampei Nihira

The difference is I think most noticeable on very heavy websites that change content every few seconds.

But in these websites it is very difficult to do an accurate test because the web page changes too fast.

P.S.

There are also some websites where the diagram is constant over time,so it starts and then does not end.
    I have eliminated this type of website from the test.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.