can i use a wifi brother print laser without installing drivers?

Discussion in 'hardware' started by mantra, Jul 12, 2024.

1. mantra

mantra Registered Member

Hi

I own a brother with scanner , i would like to use only wifi without installing drivers , just because they can often mess up the security of an operation system

i will use only to print some emails and that's all
    the point i own more than 1 printer and they are different brand , hp and epson

to print with my phone , android wifi , should i install something on my phone ?

thanks

Last edited: Jul 12, 2024
  2. Phil459

Phil459 Registered Member

How to Print from Android Phone to Brother Printer | Android Printing Tutorial
    I have a Brother laser printer and I didn't install any drivers; just hooked it up and my computer recognized it. I'm using a cable not WiFi. Have you checked out Brother's website or the manual for your device? You might also search YouTube for: "How to Print from Android Phone to Brother Printer." I found a few good videos that explain how to do it.

3. Brummelchen

Brummelchen Registered Member

you did not, but windows respective your os did, for sure.

4. Bill_Bright

Bill_Bright Registered Member

Right. The system still needs drivers so in Phil's case, that version of Windows had native drivers that Windows installed. And that's fine for basic functions - which is all most people need for printing.

@mantra - I say, give it a try and see what happens. You will, of course, first need to attach that printer to your wireless network. Then tell your computer to Add a printer and Windows [hopefully] will find it, install its own native drivers and allow you to print.

5. Brummelchen

Brummelchen Registered Member

6. Bill_Bright

I doubt you need to do the above. Brother is a very popular brand. Your W10 system might just easily determine the device and install the appropriate basic drivers (basic is all you need for printing) and you will be good to go WITHOUT installing a bunch of junk you don't need or want. :)

7. mantra

mantra Registered Member

Hi
    in short i don't need any drivers , i would like to use only with wifi
    and about android phones , even i have downloaded the app it doesn't find the device , phone android device and printer both connected to a guest with the same password
    windows can print and scan wireless ,my phone doesn't detect the printer
    brother iprint&scan for android
    thanks

Last edited: Jul 13, 2024
  8. Adric

Adric Registered Member

If you want to print with your Brother Printer from your Andriod phone:
    IprintScan
    Brother Print Service Plugin
    I prefer the plugin with Firefox, but don't use it that often since I limit what the phone does.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2024
  9. mantra

mantra Registered Member

hi
    i have both installed on the phone , same wifi password, but the phone can't find the printer!
    but should I connect the phone to the printer with the first option or the third
    i have tried all of them without luck
    thanks Adric

10. Bill_Bright

You do need drivers. Every printer needs drivers. Drivers are how the operating system knows it is printing to an ink jet, or a laser printer, for example.

Most likely, however, you will not need to download and install any drivers because [hopefully] Microsoft will have already imbedded in Windows, the necessary driver code to communicate with your Brother printer.

As for your phone, understand it prints through your local network via your local network's wifi connection. So make sure wifi is enabled on your phone.

11. mantra

mantra Registered Member

hi
    i know , everything is ok , i guess the android app is buggy

12. Adric

Adric Registered Member

What options are you talking about? Both apps find my printer when searching for printers with my Android 10 phone.
    Connection preferences > Printing under Settings for plugin. For App > Machines connected to your network

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.