Puran Utilities 3.0 Released

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by puransoftware, Sep 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. puransoftware

puransoftware Registered Member

Hello all,

Puran Utilities 3.0 released on 7th September 2013.

It is a big improvement over the previous versions and is now free for private and non commercial use only.

Please try it and give me your valuable feedback.

http://www.puransoftware.com/Puran-Utilities.html

Meanwhile, many of you gave positive feedback for Puran File Recovery. Thanks for encouraging me :)

Regards,
    Vishal Gupta
    Puran Software

2. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

i dont mean to offend but i do NOT want the babylon stuff and other junk. eset even flags your installers as unwanted software.

3. puransoftware

Puran Utilities installer does not include any third party software. ESET must be giving a false positive. I will report to them. Thanks for the information.

4. puransoftware

I just got a reply from ESET -

////////////////////////////
    Hello,
    the application isn't detected by ESET at all.

Regards,

ESET Malware Response Team
    //////////////////////////////

Are you sure if it is being flagged? If so, can you please send a screenshot?

Thanks

5. Dermot7

Dermot7 Registered Member

ESET seems to only detect the Puran Defrag standalone installer, but not the Utilities installer.

Attached Files:

6. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

7. puransoftware

@Dermot7 Alright, It is clear that they are flagging Babylon that is bundled as OPTIONAL installation (pre-unchecked) with Puran Defrag standalone installer.

However, Puran Utilities complete installer does not bundle anything. Also, those who doesn't want even an unchecked OPTIONAL third party software offer can always buy a commercial Puran Utilities license.

For home users, I would highly recommend free version only. You wont get anything on your computer without your knowledge.

Some people on various forums without any reason are simply making false threats about Puran Utilities program. I do not know what is their ultimate goal but things got more suspicious when techsupportalert.com got a lot of spam by our name and we had to tell them we were not at fault. Please ignore such people.

For forum administrators, please see to it who is actually putting some value to the threads and who is simply doing a copy paste.

Thanks

8. majoMo

majoMo Registered Member

Yes, you are right about!

Installed it under SandboxIE and tracked with SandboxDiff. There aren't any "Babylon stuff and other junk" at all. For some reason their executables utilities trying to connect web (to update?).

Puran Defrag is a known excellent defragger; used it some years ago and is effective and well designed.

Since I don't like "all-in-one" utilities software, it's nice to see that Puran offer their utilities in a standalone installer, for each application.

@ puransoftware, FYI I have the error (screenshot below) when I try to start "PuranDefragSetup.exe" (standalone installer).

Attached Files:

9. 0strodamus

0strodamus Registered Member

For those of us who did buy a license for Puran Defrag, is there someplace to download the latest version? Maybe I just missed it, but the paid installer seemed to vanish when the free version was released.

10. puransoftware

All Puran Defrag License buyers can get Puran Utilities standard license for free simply by sending an email to support@puransoftware.com

Puran Utilities commercial installer has option to select the utilities to be installed. You can install all the utilities or only the ones you want like Puran Defrag and Puran File Recovery only.

http://www.puransoftware.com/buylicense.html

Please let me know if you have further queries.

Thanks

11. puransoftware

@majoMo thanks for trying Puran Utilities. The connection to internet is for loading the bottom strip you see. (The one where "Get Commercial Code" is written). It simply loads a plain html.

PuranDefragSetup.exe is working fine on our computers and many other end user's computer. So I suspect there can be something wrong with your system. In any case, I will further look into it.

Even installing Puran Utilities wont run any unwanted background programs/services. It will be just a simple plain install taking few MBs of your disk. Version 3.0 is extremely refined and each utility in itself is better than many standalones available in the market. So, I would recommend installing full pack. I use it.

Thanks

12. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

good to know the full suite doesnt install anything extra but then why does the stand alone defrag program?? i used to recc puran defrag but i can no longer to basic users because they always end up letting it install the extra stuff because they dont know any better and even if i wanr then unless i do the install for them many times they still do. so i no longer can recc it. and sorry to say the babylon toolbar is junk and i will not recc anyone install a program that will attempt its install.

13. majoMo

majoMo Registered Member

You are right again... :D

The installer file downloaded was in fact corrupted, since I tested/compared it with the installer downloaded after, using the tool HJ-Split.

Your hard drive maintenance tool - DiskFresh - is an amazing tool and is well reviewed by Donn Edwards; he is a member of Wilders forum that, some years ago, enlightened us with their knowledge defragmentation about. To read their explanations was always a pleasure!

Thanks a lot for this DiskFresh software also!

14. puransoftware

DiskFresh was infact the idea of Donn Edwards, I have given him the credits in the about box. At first, I was not sure if I wanted to make this software but he guided me through the facts and I became equally interested. He was kind enough to test it at every step of development and didn't ever ask for any credits. I wanted to name it DonnFresh but DiskFresh is what he said will look just fine and finally we settled with a small credit in the about box :)

15. Pliskin

Pliskin Registered Member

After installing Puran Utilities I get a "Temp" file in the installation folder. It's a 10 MB file and is it a temporary file, because it stays there plus I've never seen temporary files in "Program Files" subfolders. What is it for?

Last edited: Sep 15, 2013
  16. puransoftware

It is used by Puran File Recovery for temporary storage of the preview of recovered files.

17. Pliskin

Pliskin Registered Member

Ok. Btw, Puran File Recovery is the only app which recovered a file on my "crazy" hard disk. I shift+delete some file and then try to recover it. That's my test and all the apps I've tried over the years for some unknown reason failed. It means a lot to have app like yours (you never know), so big thank you.

18. puransoftware

I am glad it helped :)

19. hawki

hawki Registered Member

I was not impressed.

I did a registry clean, and a boot defrag which could not get passed 11% "filling gaps". ESC didn't stop the program so I had to shut down my PC. When I restarted my PC my KIS 2014 was totally borked with a corrupted data base among other things and was not working. I uninstalled it and I did a system restore from the point made before the registry clean.

But now in my boot I get a screen that says something like "PD exe. is missing Auto Check cancelled" which slows down my boot up by several seconds. So I tried another boot defrag with the program and while it still hung at 11% fill gaps this time esc did stop it .

I have now done a disk check with 2 different programs and a boot defrag with 3. Several of my page files could not be found and several needed to be defragmented. I still get the PD exe. not found screen which I fear will be there forever, and I have uninstalled the program and deleted the set up file. I wish I never heard of it.

Sorry, I think it's not ready for prime time.

20. puransoftware

Sorry to hear about this. This can in a rare case happen not just with Puran Defrag but with any other utility that do a heavy data movement if your disk has a lot of errors and therefore Puran Defrag suggests you to do a full disk check if you are using it for the first time atleast.

PD.exe is not a part of Puran Defrag. Puran Boot Time Defrag filename is PuranDefragBT.exe and hence this file is from some other software.

In any case, here are the instructions for removing any such thing from boot time -

1) Goto start - Run

2) Type "regedit" - Registry editor will open.

3) Goto HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE - SYSTEM - CurrentControlSet - Control - Session Manager

4) On the right panel right click BootExecute and modify.

5) Remove line containing "PuranDefragBT" (In your case, PD.exe)

6) Close Registry Editor

7) ITS DONE

I recommend you to do a full disk check either with Puran Disk Check or by typing chkdsk /r c: on command prompt.

I hope this helps.

21. Defcon

Defcon Registered Member

puransoftware, thanks for all your programs and also for responsiveness! It's not easy making free software and putting time into it when most people never buy the paid version as I've discovered :(

22. 0strodamus

0strodamus Registered Member

That sounds great! Email sent - thanks!

23. puransoftware

Thanks for your support :)

@0strodamus License sent :)

24. DBone

DBone Registered Member

I don't understand what some people's problem is? Yes, the dev bundled Babylon to make money, but is is unchecked by default and any user older than 5 years of age should be able to handle the couple of extra clicks to 'skip' the toolbar. Seems like some people just have to complain about something. :thumbd:

25. puransoftware

Thanks for your support :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.