Interesting Observation.

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by SDS909, Jul 1, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SDS909

SDS909 Registered Member

I found a new Trojan around the 16th of June. (estimate) I submitted it to several multiple scan engines, and only 3 AV's detected it. I carefully monitored daily to see who added it. NOD32, KAV and VBA32 had it immediately on outbreak (around 10th?) The trojans name is:

Troj/Bahnhof-A
    Aliases Trojan-Downloader.Win32.Small.ayl

What concerns me, is the amount of AV's that STILL haven't dealt with this outbreak.. I personally sent this file to all of them, including Dr.Web, and it still hasn't been added. Also alarming was the fact that a majority of time only 3 AV's detected this, the rest only added it very recently.

http://www.boredmofo.com/downloads/tj.JPG

2. wildvirus88

wildvirus88 Registered Member

very good!
    It's very important!

3. Firefighter

Firefighter Registered Member

Because it seems to be a Dialer, have you checked DrWeb with Beta update defs too? If DrWeb still doesn't detect that, I believe that they are not so interested about Dielers anymore!

Best regards,
    Firefighter!

4. pvsurfer

pvsurfer Registered Member

This actually broaches the issue of whether you should depend on any AV product to fully protect against against spyware and trojans! :doubt:

5. SDS909

SDS909 Registered Member

Yes it was checked with Dr.Web BETA Risky/Spyware databases, still not detected.

Also, the term "Dialer" is pretty loose, since most AV's tend to label this as a TrojanDownloader rather than a dialer. Given what this program does, and how it works, i'd also label it a trojan, and the annoyance and damage it causes should immediately have it in database of all major AV.

I should add, Norman's Sandbox actually detected it before definitions.

I will also point out I would have been infected with this if I had not been using Safe'n'Sec, which shut it down and allowed me to examine it more closely and stop the infection. So that means this made it past 2 layers of my 3 layer security and was caught. Which pretty much is how I set it up, given the highly unlikely nature of anything ever passing Safe'n'Sec.

6. richrf

richrf Registered Member

Hi SDS909,

Which aspect of SafeNSecure stopped the malware. Was it the new process detection or was it the registry protection - or something else? Thanks.

Rich

7. SDS909

SDS909 Registered Member

I believe was when it tried to copy a new file to Windows directory, but so many alarms were going off, I just blocked everything, and sent the file to the AV scanners. Needless to say, i'm extremely happy with Safe'n'Sec at this point.

8. richrf

richrf Registered Member

Thanks for the info.

Rich

9. solarpowered candle

solarpowered candle Registered Member

safensec is really looking good

10. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Well this is certanly not an outbreak. And dialers are losing ther purpose since more and more people are moving to Cable/DSL which are immune to dialers.

11. SDS909

SDS909 Registered Member

It isn't a dialer, I already said that once. Catagorizing it as such is incorrect. It is a trojan downloader, and can work fine off of TCP/IP stack. Curious, several AV's still don't have definitions for it. Pretty disappointed with Dr.Web. I used the correct submission form as well.

I don't really care WHAT it does though, it is a trojan, and should be detected considering it is several weeks after it was discovered. Also of concern is the very long delay of the ones that now detect it.

I think everyone checking response times checks only major outbreaks, and not these other things (which are extremely common). Smaller or less responsive AV companies seem to respond rapidly to huge, high publicity threats - and sometimes don't respond at all to lesser threats.

12. Pollmaster

Pollmaster Guest

That's why solutions like Regdefend+Processguard+AV isn't always enough. There should be something monitoring sensitive file areas as well .

That's why many people use PrevX as well . Or you could run as a none-admin.

13. AndreyKa

AndreyKa Registered Member

14. SDS909

SDS909 Registered Member

I've already sent it to them twice. Perhaps Dr.Web is missing it because this one is packed with YODA or something?

Either way, the good Dr. definately doesn't detect this for me, nor on the scan sites!

15. wildvirus88

wildvirus88 Registered Member

Try to send by mail vms@drweb.com

16. SDS909

SDS909 Registered Member

Dr.Web JUST added detections for this, and it took someone that has a contact there to send it.

I'm not impressed with what it took to get them to add this threat and most worrying it took them weeks and weeks to add it.

17. Dave-54321

Dave-54321 Guest

...or you could just use Linux!

18. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

Or switch to NOD.

19. Firefighter

Firefighter Registered Member

I'm not so worried about DrWeb after that single sample, because there are so many new samples each day. What do you think about my "P2P-Worm.Win32.Furby" sample? I picked up that sample when I used Panda Platinum v7.0 about a year ago, it took almost HALF A YEAR when KASPERSKY detected that. I'm not saying that Kaspersky is a bad scanner after this, because it still has the best detection rate overall. S...t happens. o_O

Best regards,
    Firefighter!

Attached Files:

20. SDS909

SDS909 Registered Member

Been there, done that. No thanks, won't happen again. And thats with free licenses to it. LOL

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.