Infoslips-irritating for linux users

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by Ocky, Apr 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

My stockbrokers, have informed me that they will be switching to this crappy method of distributing statements, contract notes etc.

"InfoSlips is extremely user-friendly and easy to implement; in order to be able to open your notes, tax reports and month-end statements you need to download and install the InfoSlips technology – referred to as the “InfoSlips Viewer”. You can do this by clicking on this link - https://www.infoslips.com/downloads.aspx - or by typing this address into your web browser"

Will get a PUK to decrypt the stuff. Only problem is that I don't think they support Linux versions; although when clicking on the link they show that they have detected that I use Unix and I should contact support who will tell me how to install on Unix. I think they are cocksure I am running Mac. :)
    Another instance of short-sighted imbeciles who think that 100% of computer users run Windows !

Has anybody come across Infoslips Viewer or do you know whether they support Linuxes ?

Maybe I will now need to ask the brokers to send by snailmail as I am definitely not installing Windows just to receive the statements etc. via Infoslip Viewer.

This type of playing around with customers in the name of progress makes me want to p*ke. Had it before with striata reader but at least they have the decency to provide packages for most popular Linuxes.

Edit: Boy, they changed this quickly from Unix now to Linux. So it appears I may have been too quick on the draw. I would like to think my contacting them was responsible.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2011
  2. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

Good on you. Linux to the top!

3. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

It's a sh install script all java !
    Very shoddy see below, but my main concern is how safe can this be being java powered ??

Screenshot-Startup Error.png

The known issues telling me that the The Application Listener is not included with latest java.
    Hells Bells !

| 4. Known Issues
    +=========================-

* Illegal key size or default parameters:
    This error is linked to the Java runtime environment. Please make sure you have the latest version.
    * java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: com/apple/eawt/ApplicationListener:
    The Application Listener is not included in the latest Java version. In order to fix this problem,
    please contact Technical Support to obtain a copy of 'AppleJavaExtensions.jar' file.
    This file must me copied to the same location as the InfoSlips ForMe. Viewer application file.

4. InfoSlips

InfoSlips Registered Member

Hi Ocky,

Thank you for posting on this, I apologise for the inconvenience this caused you.

In response to your post and other feedback we have received we have updated our download page to make the Linux InfoSlips viewer install more easily accessible and we now provide installation instructions online. In the past we preferred to have contact with each Linux/UNIX recipient individually in order to more personally guide them through the installation process if necessary.

To address some of the other points you raised; The application listener that is required by the Linux viewer was previously included in the Java runtime but has, in more recent versions of the runtime, been omitted. Hence the requirement for the extra step in the installation. We are working on new versions of our viewers for all platforms (Including Mobile devices) and in future the requirement for the Java runtime, and therefore the application listener, will fall away completely. If you would like to be kept up to date with these developments, please feel free to join us on one of the social media platforms, please visit our website for details of which ones we are active on. I will also ensure that I keep this forum up to date on any developments or releases in future.

I sincerely apologise for the inconvenience this caused you. We are proud of our offering and are always looking to improve what we do. All feedback is very much appreciated. Should you have any questions or queries in future, please do not hesitate to contact me directly. If I am not able to assist you I will be able to direct you to the correct person within InfoSlips.

Peter Koen
    peterk@infoslips.com

5. Kevin McAleavey

Kevin McAleavey Security Expert

Wanted to say THANKS for the tip - we had a few customers of ours who thought we were the culprit. By including that file, all's working famously for them now! You might want to include that jar file in the primary distribution, I can't see any harm done where older versions of java which include that still remain on machines although it certainly isn't safe to be using older, vulnerable versions of Java.

You can add the KNOS operating system to your list as fully compatible with your product as well. Thanks again for the answer! :)

6. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

Many thanks Peter.
    I was sent the AppleJavaExtensions zip by my stockbroker some time ago and installed successfully. I have also sent them simple install instructions in case of queries from other Linux users. See below.

Code:
    1.Download the zip archive to your desktop.
    2.Unzip the archive by right clicking on it and selecting extract.
    A folder named: infoViewer_linux_1_0_0_3 will be placed on your desktop.

3. Open terminal and  cd to this folder.
    Type first line only:-
    cd ~/Desktop/infoViewer_linux_1_0_0_3/
    ~/Desktop/infoViewer_linux_1_0_0_3$ 
    You are now in the directory and can execute the script.
    Type:-
    ~$ sudo sh infoViewer_unix_1_0_0_5.sh 

This will install the viewer to /opt

When you get the test document and you try to open it you may get an error message related
    to the known issues shown below. In that case obtain the 'AppleJavaExtensions.jar' file.

| 4. Known Issues
    > +=========================-
    > 
    >    * Illegal key size or default parameters: 
    >    	This error is linked to the Java runtime environment. Please make sure you have the latest version. 
    >    * java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: com/apple/eawt/ApplicationListener:
    >    	The Application Listener is not included in the latest Java version. In order to fix this problem,
    >    	please contact Technical Support to obtain a copy of 'AppleJavaExtensions.jar' file.
    >    	This file must me copied to the same location as the InfoSlips ForMe. Viewer application file.
    > 

Infoslips will send you the AppleJavaExtensions.jar package in a zip archive. 
    Extact (Unzip) the archive and cut/paste the AppleJavaExtensions.jar in the /opt/infoViewer directory.

Right click on the Test Document.ifs > select Properties>Open With 
    click 'Add'>'Use a Custom Command' and browse to the 'infoslipsviewer' file.
    Double click on it to select and then click Open. 
    Looking forward to the revamped version.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.