How should one ask a company if they sell your data?

Discussion in 'privacy general' started by MrGump, Apr 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MrGump

MrGump Registered Member

trapcall.com promises they can tell you the real person calling your phone, even if that person blocks their caller ID. The service sounds pretty interesting but before I sign up I would like to know if they are selling any of my call information or the information of the caller.

Can you recommend the best way to clearly ask the company?

2. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

3. MrGump

MrGump Registered Member

thanks for the link :ouch:

It doesn't seem to mention anything regarding the data they collect regarding the phone software and the information that is found using the software. My question still stand I guess, how would you recommend I ask them plainly about that concern?

4. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

I would send the email.
    On a personal note, if a caller won't identify themselves to me using normal means, they will never get through. Using a third party to "barter" my phone calls doesn't seem to be productive except to the third party. :)

5. MrGump

MrGump Registered Member

thank you for your help, ronjor :)

would anyone give me some pointers regarding how I might write that email? *puppy*

i.e. particular terms i could use etc..

Last edited: Apr 4, 2011
  6. SteveTX

SteveTX Registered Member

If a company is not explicit in stating that they don't store or sell your data, it is most likely they do sell it. Why? Because that is a selling point, and they would want to promote the fact they "respect your privacy".

7. I no more

I no more Registered Member

I can understand that sentiment, but there are a lot of wackos o_O out there to whom I would be disinclined to identify myself to. Say the wrong thing to certain people and the next day you'll find that the first 10 Google entries for your name are soliciting sexual favors on questionable websites. I've seen it before. :thumbd:

8. x942

x942 Guest

An easier way would be to have your phone company put a trap on the line. Answer and hang up. I have done this however this is for legal issues only so i don't know if you would be able to do it. Another method is to set up your own "call center" using something like: www.asterisk.org/ and configure a PBX to intercept the call but this is more advanced.

I have found other windows programs that can sit in between the phone line and phone (provided you have 2 Ethernet slots) and act as a virtual modem that can do things such as 1) play back the "phone # not in service message" or even 2) force the person to reveal there # before letting the call through

#2 is also possible with a call to your phone company (here in Canada at least) you can block unknown numbers and the caller has the choice to either A) Record their name and a computer will dial through and say the name is calling you (ie. you have a call from John press 1 to accept or hang up now). or B) reveal their number. This is the simplistic method as if they don't reveal there number your phone will never ring :D

9. MrGump

MrGump Registered Member

thank you everybody you have given me plenty to consider :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.