Drweb AV-DESK public trial

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by C.S.J, Oct 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

http://freedrweb.com/avdesk/info/

i dont have XP, so cant give it a try to see how it all works, but im sure someone here uses XP. :D

1.jpg

here is a pic of the installation, i wonder if that will be the new tray icon for v5? :D

lol

Last edited: Oct 11, 2007
  2. cdr

cdr Registered Member

:) Chris, for those of us that don't know what this AV-Desk is for, can you explain it a little? I, personally, don't know if this is for a home user or what exactly it is. Is this something that all of us who use Dr. Web for Windows need to get, eventually?
    Thanks!

3. lodore

lodore Registered Member

so instead of downloading e.g. a 15mb file and updating it once its installed you download a tiny 800kb file and download the rest from the drweb servers?
    i dont know whats so great about it.
    i guess it is a smaller package but means you cant do an offline install.
    im not sure many people would want to go online without antivirus protection.
    if there is anything else to it then enlighten me:D
    ive got to say the new icon definatly looks alot nicer.
    it seems dr web is trying to get rid of the windows 95 looking interface.
    if i had a spare computer with internet i would try it.
    lodore

4. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

havnt tried it, so i cant tell you exactly.

im sure someone with XP will try it on here and let us all know ;)

5. cdr

cdr Registered Member

Ok, that helps! It is obviously an "enterprise" type of thing--not something a home user would want. ;)

6. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

DRW's website's description of "AV-Desk" is ambiguous.

To me, this thing appears to be a "solution" in search of a problem to solve. o_O

7. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

sorry cdr,

i aint sure what this is myself,

thought id post it and hopefully someone would have some answers :)

i guess not :blink:

lol

8. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

I would try it out except the download link doesn't work, it just keeps timing out. Wasted 30 secs of my valuable time registering too :).

9. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

ok, i gave it a try.

it does seem to work on vista.

basically its very basic, it deals with threats automatically, gives me no notice about it, just does it all in the background, no real settings and it uses the same scanner program.

its not for me, back to the vista 4.44 version :D

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

10. dan_maran

dan_maran Registered Member

McAfee used to have a solution similar to this I just can't recall its name....

11. lodore

lodore Registered Member

so it does seems like its fine for business users who want it it to protect desktops without any user interraction.
    but isnt very good for home users who want any sort of control.
    loodre

12. cdr

cdr Registered Member

:) Boy, we Dr. Web users stand ready to "pounce" at a moment's notice!:D That's real loyalty! lol

13. n8chavez

n8chavez Registered Member

The impression I got from it, after I installed it, was that it is kind of like Cureit, except that is offers real-time scanning; meaning that cureit and AV-Desk would be like what Dr Web 4.44 offers. I'm not sure if I could reallt trust it though, but I like Dr Web giving out freeware utilities, such as Cureit and AV-Desk.

14. dan_maran

The offering from McAfee was "VirusScan Thin Client 6"

FYI

15. Arup

Arup Guest

Dr. Web needs lots of work before it becomes a top notch contender like Avira or KAV. This app is no different.

16. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

I hope this thing will be a free option for home users. I mean completelly bogged down antivirus that does everything automatically. No options to set.
    Sure not fine for most of us but i'd certanly be happy to provide such program to users that don't even want to know what's antiovirus, yet they want to be protected. Current free AVs are ok but they still require interaction and are waay too bogged down (like stupid update check only ONCE per day). C'mon, in todays era thats just not enough even for free.

17. AndreyKa

AndreyKa Registered Member

18. dan_maran

19. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

I wouldn't trust any av to "deal with threats automatically."

20. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

Obviously some minor growing pains.
    • Localization isn't quite there on the scanner (see below - should be English).
    • Spam filter is a little touchy, don't see an obvious way to adjust settings/findings (haven't looked deeply either as yet). At least spam is only labelled, not actioned.
    • Completion of initial download of definitions not apparent. Took some time to occur in my case, for whatever reason. Program not operational in this time (since no defs). Once program was updated, it was fine.

Blue

PS - An information indication on a block (transient popup message, visual change in tray icon, something visual and unobtrusive) would be nice. Right now it's an OS based file unavailable indication. Not the right approach for (what I believe to be) that target audience.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 12, 2007
  21. drkoopz

drkoopz Registered Member

So this is a low resource Antivirus, Anti-Spam program without much user interaction? And free? If I was a small business owner, i'd be all over this. In fact, i'm excited at the ability to put this on people's systems who have a history of just hitting 'ok' on every prompt they get.

22. Technodrome

Technodrome Security Expert

It won't be free.;)

tD

23. AndreyKa

AndreyKa Registered Member

Make 3 clicks on menu.
    1) You have to make a rule in mail client to sort out labeled mail.
    2) Forward wrong spam marked mail to vrnonspam@drweb.com
    3) Forward missed spam to vrspam@drweb.com

Attached Files:

24. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

AndreyKa,

Thanks for the quick guidance.

Some initial impressions:
    • Basically the client is on target for an enterprise level deployment. Painless install, then done. Completely stable thus far in normal use. Configuration options quite appropriate to a centrally deployed solution and for typical non-expert users as well. Although the ethic here may be to embrace infinite configuration possibilities, the mass market needs install and done, which this package is.
    • I could easily see this package becoming an ISP supplied solution. If my own ISP supplied this package to subscribers (their current offering is McAfee), I'd use it.
    • About the only deficiency I see thus far is something of a lack of informational prompts provided following a program action. Right now, a user will receive an OS based message (for example, file not found/etc.) if malware is purposely downloaded. On the one hand, that's a good result for a novice user (no decision to make). On the other, I can see a user wondering whether their connection/browser/system is working properly, which would generate a lot of debugging activity. A transient indicator popup above the system tray that requires no user action (example - informational pop-up that automatically disappears in x seconds) would eliminate these questions.
    All in all, a very nice effort thus far.

Blue

25. ink

ink Registered Member

What a pity lots of user around here can't install it for the painful download server, msk3. One user succeed, but with 2 hours.
    As far as I see, no body will curious about this kind of product, it is for ISP market, no added feature compared to Dr.web 4.44 and less settings. Maybe less price or paid by ISP is acceptable.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.