Dr.Web renaming/deleting problem DVD sized files

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Bob, Dec 8, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bob

Bob Registered Member

Hi,
    I always have a problem with Dr.Web with DVD sized binary files. Download say 90 files (rar) of 50 Mb and winrar them to 1 file.
    When using Dr.Web I cann't move or rename the file.
    I get these kind of messages:
    With SpIDer Guard paused when winraring or with other virus guards I don't have this problem.
    Is there a way to solve this problem except for rebooting or is it a bug?
    Bob

Attached Files:

2. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

There might be some kind of Dr.Web limitation. Like 2GB limitation for ZIP files or FAT32 partitions. It was probably never meant to detect such huge files anyway (viruses are usually from few KB to max 1-2MB if packed with other stuff to hide true malware. Or do you mean it locks up when you create any 4GB sized file?
    If so,then it is a bug.

3. Bob

Bob Registered Member

The limit is not with 1 Gb or a little higher.
    With 4+ Gb I cann't move, delete or rename the file.
    I mean 1 iso file of 4 Gb, not 4 VOB files totalling 4 Gb.

4. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

5. shorty1

shorty1 Registered Member

Are you using "smart" scan mode in the Spider settings? Have you tried disabling scaning of archives in the Spider settings? I think maybe your best bet is to pause the real-time monitor, as you alluded to already, when moving or renaming such big files. .... Correction, HUGE files. :)
    I guess my best advice is to try and tweak your settings to see if you can get something that is workable.
    Ideally, I suppose, it would be nice if Dr Web had an option to ignore files bigger than *** MB, where *** was user configurable, but it doesn't. I read a thread on one of the Russian forums the other day asking if it was possible to do this very thing by editing the ini file and the answer was .... nyet! :)

Last edited: Dec 8, 2004
  6. Paul Wilders

Paul Wilders Administrator

Pahnimayet Russkii yazike, shorty? ;) Anyway: in the future, the answer should be conformative ;)

regards.

paul

7. Bob

Bob Registered Member

Hi,
    Just got the following response of Dr.Web:

This issue is acknowledged by DrWeb developers team.
    Yes, it is caused by some limitations of DrWeb core engine; so it isn't fixable without serious core changes that will take time to implement.

As for the next immediate version of DrWeb.
    We'll try to eliminate the negative _effect_ caused by on-access scanner (SpIDer Guard) when it intercepts the delete/rename/etc operations with 4+Gb files but can't properly handle these ones.

I'm always very happy with the service of Dr.Web,
    Bob

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.