DELL CERC SATA 2S Controller

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by jammin, Feb 27, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jammin

jammin Registered Member

Hi,

I just downloaded the trial of TI Server (8.0 Build 796) .. however it does not see my two drives on a Dell CERC SATA 2S controller as a single array, but as two seperate drives. I'm pretty sure this means that an image will not restore properly, and that I can't create one from the recovery disk!

From reading the forums, I have noticed that this is a common problem with many RAID controllers. Will this one be supported soon, and is there a list of those that are / aren't anywhere?

Thanks
    Jammin

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Jammin,

Thank you for your interest in Acronis True Image (http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/).

We are really sorry for the inconveniences.

Could you please let me know the full model name of your RAID controller? I will tell you whether your controller is supported or not.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

3. jammin

jammin Registered Member

I can't find any more information about it. It's reported in Windows as a "Adaptec CERC SATA 2S" . I can't see a more specific model number, even in the BIOS based RAID setup utility.

It comes standard with the Dell PowerEdge SC1425

edit: It's the last controller mentioned on this page, also used on Poweredge 800 and 420SC:
    http://linux.dell.com/storage.shtml#cercsata2s

4. Acronis Support

Hello jammin,

Thank you very much for the information you have provided. According to the info on the link you have given you use software RAID. We regret to inform you that Acronis True Image doesn't support software RAID when you boot from Acronis Bootable CD. It will properly work under Windows however. Also there should be no problems if you use disks in non-RAID mode.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

5. jammin

jammin Registered Member

That's a shame. It's a pity the recovery CD can't use Windows drivers.

I presume this means I can backup images of my raid array, but cannot restore them? In which case TI would be useless to me?

6. Acronis Support

Hello jammin,

You are right. You may create the image of your RAID array but you will not be able to restore the image to your RAID array. However you will be able to restore the image to a single drive even if it is plugged to your CERC SATA 2S controller.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

7. neil.smith

neil.smith Guest

Hi:

We ran into the same issue during restore as you did, basically dying on startup. Following the logic from the thread below, we came up with a procedure you should be able to use effectively.

Turn off the computer, and unplug the data cable to the second SATA drive. Restart the computer, which will complain about the missing drive with all the associated error messages during POST. Boot from the CD, and restore the image to the single drive. Shut it all down again, plug the second SATA data cable back in. Turn it back on, and log into Windows. Use the Cerc Raid Manager software to rebuild the array. It will probably take a couple of hours to rebuild, but it's an unattended operation.

Reference: Procedure worked with a Dell Precision 470 Workstation with dual SATA drives, using a CERC Sata 2S Bios b 2.1-11 2024 build controller.

Hope this helps.
    Neil
    neil.smith@catalystpaper.com

8. Acronis Support

Hello Neil,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Sharing your experience is very much appreciated.

If you have any further experience to share, please feel free to post it on this forum.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.