BitDefender 8 and Dr.Web

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by larouse, Mar 29, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. larouse

larouse Registered Member

Hi,

I have doing some test in our Machines and I have seen that BitDefender Pro and Dr. Web run very Well with our applications and Hardware, now need take at desision to make final Buy, in your experiences How should be better option beteween both AV's ? BitDefender has showed that has Registry Protection or something similar think so, and Has Spam and FireWall and at this moment are not points to considere in my desision , I am talking about Antivirus theme.

Thank you,

2. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

Detection rates look to be very similar here, where both on-demand scanners are classified as "Advanced" scanners;
    http://www.av-comparatives.org/

While over at Virus Bulletin, they both have an equal number of passes and fails;

http://www.virusbtn.com/vb100/archives/products.xml?bitdefender.xml
    http://www.virusbtn.com/vb100/archives/products.xml?drweb.xml

Dr Web's RTM as you have found would run a little lighter than BitDefender.

Choice may come down to degree of support and price for multiple licenses.

I can, however, only comment upon Dr Web's support.

Although I have found that this can be very patchy at times, support over the last few weeks or so has been superb from Pavel Ershov at support@drweb.com

3. larouse

BlackCat,

Thank you very Much for you Information and comments. We have at lot Internet and Email traffic, and think that Trojans is good point to conisdere.

4. Blackcat

5. larouse

We are not Home User, but my employmees have Laptops that Run with Windows 2000 and Email application is MS Outlook 2003 and when are traveling and are in other's locations ( Warehouse ) work in our Local Network but when are traveling out of our locations , they use Dial Up ( Hotels ), think that I need but WorkStation applications, our Server and LAN has Security Software but our machines sometimes run Out of our Control ( Employmee Homes and Hotels )

6. Blackcat

May also boil down to ease of use out of the box and how secure the default settings of each AV is.

With Dr Web, the default settings are with Smart Mode as the other scan settings for the RTM tend to slow most systems down. If you use Dr Web in this mode you must make sure that;

1. The machines are clean of any malware before installing Dr Web.

2. Carry out regular on-demand scans.

3. Right-click to check on any new files entering the systems.

Difficult choice to make between these 2 AntiVirus programs. But either will give you good protection.

Good Luck!

7. larouse

Yes, is difficult from we and our people because are not Security Software experts....Only turn on the laptops and start to work, we need sell, My people need sell and need give all Possibles tools to do Good Job. I am looking Good AV tool to won't have at problems.....We have 30 laptops Top Model's working with KAV 5.022 but are Centrino Machines with 2GHZ in RAM, any problem, Have 20 laptos with P IV and 1 GHZ in Ram working with McAfee and now need buy 20 licences from installe in Laptops PIV with 512MB in Ram and saw that Dr. Web and Bitdefender Run Good....

8. AndreyKa

AndreyKa Registered Member

1. During installing process DrWeb perform full system scan (on user agree).
    3. SpiderGurd in Smart Mode checks all potentially dangerous files which written on hard disk.

For Dial Up Internet users DrWeb seems preferred because have mach smaller updates size.

9. Blackcat

But on his Win 2000/NT laptops, SpiderGuard in this mode will not check files when they are executed. Hence the need for frequent on-demand checks.
    Agreed. Dr Web is an excellent choice for dial-up users because the update files are commonly only 3-4kB in size.

10. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

i can not comment on dr web as i have not played with it yet. but my experiences with bitdefender 8 pro: seems to have good detection of virus and trojans alike. firewall is not at all worth it especially in a business application. the updates are funny . as other have mentioned i too have had update problems. where the program says it updated but really did not. to me this alone is a deal breaker in my mind. a new virus comes out and i think my av is correctly updated but really its not. this does not seem to be widespread but there are many others that have commented on this before. dr web is supposed to be a great av. the only thing i have heard is in regard to thier tech support being not so hot sometimes but they have seemingly got much better latley. just remember there are many choices out there some even better than these some not. do your homework, i to use my av for my business and tried numerous av's before i decided on nod. i really liked kav but the performance hit on my point of sale machines was to much for me.

11. jmschwartz

jmschwartz Guest

I own both NOD32 and DrWeb. On my small 3-computer network, DrWeb runs leaner. NOD is a great AV program, but I prefer DrWeb.

12. SDS909

SDS909 Guest

Ditto.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.